Saturday, September 15, 2018

In my study of the Book of Mormon this past week, I studied 2 Nephi 4. The entire chapter really struck me, but I would just like to share a few verses.

In verses 27-30 it says,"27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation."

I was so grateful to read these. They were very thought provoking questions and responses for me personally and can be for all of us if we really take them to heart. Why do we give in to sin.. why are we angry.. why are we doing and being all those things contrary to the commandments of God and giving way to Satan? We do not have to yield to the devil. We don't have to become angry or sad. We too can waken our souls, we can rejoice and be glad, we can choose to do the right and to withstand temptations. We do not have to remain in a state of anger, sin, or weakness. It is a choice each and every one of us have in every single moment and situation. We can always choose the better way and we can always choose to be happy. Though I understand that we all have imperfections and won't be perfect in this life, I know that if we make a conscious effort to rejoice in the Lord as Nephi does, if we trust in Him, follow Him, and make Him our rock and foundation we can feel the spirit awake our souls from a state of despair and sorrow and sin. I have personally been very grateful for that choice as I have faced/face difficult times. I have felt that joy come from my Savior, my soul has been awakened and I testify, once again, that we all have the choice to feel that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment