Saturday, October 13, 2018


As a part of my study for my class this past week I read Matthew 6, which is a part of the sermon on the mount. Verses 19-21 of this chapter really impacted me.

They say, "19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

I've read and heard these verses so many times that I have grown to really take their message for granted. Yet, as I read it this time, I was reminded of the powerful principle which it teaches, which is that we, as disciples of Christ, should be seeking after the things of heaven, we should be seeking to become like Christ and to do those things which exemplify Him rather than worrying about worldly things. When we become so focused on clothing, entertainment, social status, or anything of this world that we stop worrying about becoming like Christ we show that our heart and soul are laid up in unimportant things. Just as the scripture says “...where your treasure is, there will your heart be also...” For me personally, I realized that I often place value in many worldly things and I have already begun to re-prioritize what I value and have noticed such a difference in my commitment and love for my family, Heavenly Father, Christ, and His gospel. I would also like to add that we all can apply that important principle, to treasure up those things which are most important. I would exhort all of you that find yourselves following that which is fleeting, temporary, or unimportant to reevaluate your priorities and treasures. I plead with you to seek for those things of heaven, seek to become like Christ, seek after all good things that will draw you closer to others and to Christ, seek to place value in service and in strengthening relationships with family and friends. I know that if you do so, your will and our heart will become aligned with Heavenly Fathers and you will find true joy in heavenly treasures. This joy will become lasting and ever-increasing as you seek to treasure up that which our Father would have you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment