Saturday, October 6, 2018

In my personal study of Jacob 2, I was quite affected by verse 17 which says, "Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you."

This verse teaches several important lessons. The first is that we should view all of the children of God as we do ourselves. We should see others as our brothers and sisters and not as people who are below us in any way and we must be familiar with ALL. We must minister and strive to befriend all of the children of God not just those who "look like us..think like us.. act like us". In conjunction to all of that, this verse teaches beautifully that we must use our substance freely to lift and help our brothers and sisters.

After reading this verse I felt a strong desire to look at people through Christs eyes and not my own, to become familiar with all of my brothers and sisters who I come in contact with, and to give freely to those in need all that I can of my own substance. I have a long way to go before I will be perfect at living any of these principles of the gospel, but upon reading this scripture I have grown to understand more fully how important it is that I make a conscious and a sincere effort to incorporate these actions into my life.

I know that this verse is not just applicable to the brethren of Jacob, but that it is applicable to all of us. Let us refrain from any sort of prideful interaction with our brothers and sisters, let us make an effort to be familiar with all of the children of God, and let us give our physical substance to help others where we can.  If any of us are not striving to apply these principles, I plead sincerely with all of us that we might make a sincere effort to do so. I know that with the aid of Christ these beautiful teachings can truly draw us closer to Him. I know that the action of these principles are a remedy to the pride which can so easily beset all of us. Let us apply them as Christ would so that we can be more fully united as brothers and sisters and children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment