Monday, October 22, 2018

I was studying Elder Bednar's talk "Meek and Lowly of Heart" in the April 2018 General Conference. I loved all of the principles which he discussed and the scriptures he used. Elder Bednar gave increased insight into my understanding of meekness. He highlighted so many different aspects of meekness that I had never thought of before.

In one part of his talk he said, "Whereas humility generally denotes dependence upon God and the constant need for His guidance and support, a distinguishing characteristic of meekness is a particular spiritual receptivity to learning both from the Holy Ghost and from people who may seem less capable, experienced, or educated, who may not hold important positions, or who other wise may not appear to have much to contribute." I had never even thought of this definition as being Christlike especially because Christ was perfect, so why would he need to listen to anyone else? Why would he need the guidance of anyone aside from the Spirit? Yet throughout my study I learned that Christ did listen to his Father and in so many other stories of Christ the attribute of meekness really is quite evident in this aspect. I hope that I can become meek enough to listen to others when they speak truth. That I will be meek enough to heed their counsel and direction.

I was also very grateful that he quoted the two scriptures Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:and ye shall find rest unto your souls" and D&C 19 :23 "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me." Upon reading these verses I found it interesting that the promises of being meek were rest and peace. If we are meek we will find peace and rest! What an amazing gift and promise!

All of these definitions and principles of meekness really have touched me. They have given me a greater desire to become meek and lowly of heart. I want the much needed blessings of peace and rest in my own life and I know that as we all strive to become meek, these blessing will come. We will find peace. We will find rest. I strongly encourage those who will to study Elder Bednar's talk and to strive to become meek. I know so many unforeseen blessings will stem from these efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment